Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Materials

The following are some materials I hope I can utilize in the development of my model.



I really like the idea of using silicone as an insulation layer on the outside of my model. I saw bakery, like in the picture, and thought it would work well in my design. Not only would it allow the transfer of heat or cool, it would also add somewhat of a cushion for the neck.




I've been sitting, trying to think of what the best material to use that would be flexible, yet hold water at the same time. After a little research, I found that I can use an acrylic based plastic, which is somewhat flexible, and if used correctly, can also hold water. So for the sake of my first concept model, I feel like acrylic may be the easiest material to manipulate into what I need it to do.




To the left is a picture of some PVC hose. It is rubber based and come is many different sizes. The use I will get out of these different types of hose is the ability to transfer the dirty and clean are through the water and back into the mouth and nasal cavity. It will also be used in the movement of water.




In my design, I also wanted to incorporate a heating/cooling system. I felt that by incorporating something else that is useful into the design, it would make the mask itself more desirable to wear. So I will use gel that can be either heated or cooled to complete this task. Not only will it be easy to use, but it will also hold its hot or cold temperatures for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment